Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Materials for Fursuit


This a picture of types of basic materials you could use to make a mask head. I am sure there are other things people use but this is what I am going with.

Plastic mesh for the base, I am planning on using black for the interior of the mouth
Yarn to sew the mesh together, I prefer it because it is lighter than hot glue and you can take it apart easily if you need to rework your base.
Foam, this is left over pieces I had but you can use any kind you like
Buckram or a see through fabric for the eyes
Fun foam sheets, for the eye and mouth details (I used it for teeth too)
Felt sheets, for eyes and eyebrows
Sculpey, many people have used this to make teeth and mouth interiors
I have not decided if I will attempt to make the bottom jaw move, but one set of directions I found called for using rubber bands and brads (those are the little metal pieces at the bottom of the picture, I had some for use with scrap booking and were very small so I used small machine screws and nuts on my first mask it worked great)
Craft Fur, this will be the most expensive part of your project. I got this fur from Hancock Fabrics when they had a fur sale so I saved a lot of money. If you sign up to receive fliers from places like Hancock or JoAnn Fabrics you will save your self a bundle by finding out when they have a sale on the things you need and they often have a coupon on the flier for around 40% off.

No comments:

Post a Comment